Sick Sixteen

For the past week or so I’ve been battling a nasty cold.  One of those colds that you feel coming on and when they finally hit you, you’re down for the count.  I spent all day Wednesday at home laying down. I could not sit upright for more than about 10 minutes at a time.  By Thursday I was thinking, oh I’m doing better so I’ll go to work. Bad idea. Three hours in I was done and I went home. 

As Saturday neared I was getting more and more nervous about my run.  I went to bed hoping I’d wake up and be all better.  Aaron, Amanda and I decided to start our run earlier than the team so that we’d be done before noon.  I woke up bright and early at 5:30 am.  Verdict, still sick.  I ate my banana, cinnamon and brown sugar oatmeal, took a few doses of Tylenol Cold and headed out the door about 6:45.

I got to Coal Creek Trail and it was about 28 degrees outside.  After a few warm up stretches and some chatting we headed off.  The first three miles were rough.  I was light headed, having trouble breathing regularly and my nose was running faster than I was.  At mile four I had to stop and drink some of my Nuuns.  Quick stretch and I was ready to go. It was like that Nuuns had magical healing powers.  That or my cold medicine kicked in.  I was off after that.  The run just got easier and easier for my physically but my stomach was not happy.

We did several out and backs to cover this run including a pretty good size hill.  From like 12-13 we ran up the long steady incline portion of the hill then ran down the steep side.  Got to the bottom and turned right around to tackle the hill again. Want to really test how your legs will feel when they are tired and a hill comes up…do hill repeats from miles 12-14.  It was pretty killer.  My butt was definitely feeling it.

Not going to lie, the last tenth of a mile was rough. I kept looking at my watch wondering how I wasn’t done yet.  Finally I hit 16 miles. I ran back down the trail a little bit to run Amanda in her last tenth of a mile.  She and Aaron did great and I know they are looking forward to our taper week this week as much as I am.  Amazing how easy 12 miles feels when you ran 16 the weekend before. 

After the run I stretched, headed to Natural Grocers to get more whey protein, a shaker bottle and some Epsom salts for my bath.  Then I treated myself to a Chipotle Burrito Bowl…mmm.  Amazingly I couldn’t even finish it.  Not to worry I ate Chinese food, ice cream and had a beer later that night.

I have the last Italy post done, but of course I’ve been busy and lazy and have not added pictures to it yet. I’ll get it done today as it has now been over a month since we got back.

P.S. I haven’t gotten any donations in weeks now.  Come on people give to the cancer patients!  You can read more about a very special patient, Mighty Mason, by clicking here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s