This weekend we had another blast of spring in Colorado. Temps in the upper 50s were sure a treat. Perfect weekend for a nice walk around MacIntosh Lake with Ella and my friend Claire. It amazing how much you can catch up on during a walk in the crisp morning air, and on the playground when you are catching your daughter who has no fear and goes down slides head first whether you’re ready or not.
It got me thinking, why don’t I do this more often? Do something active with friends I mean. It’s no secret that I love food, especially dessert. Often when I hang out with the girls, it’s all about the food. We meet for lunch or dinner or drinks. Or we have a girl’s night and totally veg out. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE doing all of those things, but I could use some more activity in my life.
I started brainstorming things to do with friends that don’t involve movies, drinks or lots of food…though some of them probably could.
- Go for a walk. It was so nice walking around the lake with Claire. We got fresh air, worked up a sweat and got to catch up on all things life.
- Go to a fitness class together. Sometimes I’m totally intimidated by classes I’ve never been to. When I have a buddy with me, I feel much better.
- Go play a game. Last night we went bowling with our friend Brenna. Of course bowling isn’t super active and usually involves beer, maybe some nachos, but at least you’re moving a little bit.
- Cook your own feast. Do you know cooking up a storm in the kitchen is actually a great calorie burner? Not to mention when you cook at home, you know exactly what is in your food and can control the sodium, butter, and fat content. I don’t’ know about you, but I’m way more likely to make healthy substitutions and healthier decisions at home, when I don’t have spinach artichoke dip and molten lava chocolate cake tempting me.
- Take a lesson. Fellow Longmont mom-friend Jill and I are getting the kiddos in swimming lessons. Sure it’s mainly the kids that will be doing the ‘swimming’ but we’ll be holding and swimming right along.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. What else do you like to do with friends?