Have you ever had an opportunity fall in your lap that made you wonder what if? Over the past few weeks we’ve been struggling to make a decision about one such opportunity. Career-wise for Josh, it is a no brainer. It’s a huge opportunity for him, an opportunity that may never come again. For me and Ella, not such an easy decision.
Here’s the thing, it would involve moving us across the country. Relocating to a place I’ve never been, without any support system. I do have a college girl friend that lives down there, but she would still be a short drive away. I would have to leave my job, which is no finally moving in the direction I’ve hoped it would, with an official promotion/title change and a pay grade bump. Not to mention, a mentor who will be able to teach me more about marketing and help me work towards my future goals of moving up in the company.
Then there is Ella. She loves her daycare and her teachers. She’s thriving. Our house is the only home she’s ever known. We have a routine, it’s comfortable and familiar. I worry about throwing her world into a tailspin. If we did take this opportunity, I wouldn’t have to go back to work, unless I found a job I really wanted. So, at least instead of throwing her right into a new daycare, a new house, etc. she’d be adjusting to our new life with me at home day in and day out. That part scares me too. What if I’m a horrible stay at home mom and Ella’s learning becomes stunted?
Can you tell I’m a worrier? From finding new friends, a new house, to being lonely because Josh would be working a lot, to helping Ella grow and thrive, it’s all freaking me out.
We have a few days left to make a final decision. There is no easy answer.
What would it take to uproot your family and move across the country?